Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nursery Lesson #46

The Christmas Lesson

The Birth of Jesus Christ

I started out by asking if they were excited for Christmas. Of course they all said that they were. Then I asked them if they knew why we have Christmas and explained to them that at Christmas we are celebrating when Jesus was born.

I then used the "New Testament Stories" book (picture scriptures) put out by the church to tell the story of the angel visiting Mary. Chapter 2 in the book.

Then I used picture 1-76 and told them that the people had to pay taxes so Mary and Joseph had to travel to Bethlehem. I also told them that there was no room at the inn.

Picture 1-75 I told them that Jesus was born in a stable, laid in a manger and that Mary and Joseph named him Jesus.

Picture 1-77 Angels came to the shepherds and they went to visit Baby Jesus.

Picture 1-78 The 3 Wise Men saw the star and came to find Baby Jesus.

Picture 1-16 We want to be like Jesus. The birth of Jesus was one of the most important things that has ever happened on the earth. I love Jesus very much and want to be like Him. Then I asked them how they can be like Jesus and gave examples like being nice to siblings, minding parents, etc.

I had them color a picture. Actually they didn't get to color the picture that I'd originally intended because the new librarian lost it so we did the nativity from the December friend. The one I wanted them to color was this.

While they were coloring I acted out the story using these which I cut out and colored and mounted on colored paper.

And then I read them my favorite children's Christmas story "Room For A Little One" written by Martin Waddell and illustrated by Jason Cockcroft. Go get it. You'll love it.

My frustrations for the day included my little tornado, no help in the nursery (my partner is out having heart surgery - which they were planning for, just not that week) and having to cut things a little short to go into the Primary and get Christmas treats (it wasn't that bad, it just would have been easier to not have to control 4 kids while they said the closing prayer in nursery when they could have just as easily just brought them to us.) Luckily I only had 6 kids and 2 of them left early to go to a family Christmas party.

No comments: