Monday, October 20, 2008

Word of the Day

aggress\uh-GRESS\v. 1: to commit aggression: to act.

Example Sentence: Certain indicators, such as irritability, can indicate an animal's liklihood to agress.

Did you know? "Agress" and its more familiar relatives, "agression" and agressive," derive from the latin verb "aggredi," meaning "to approach, attack, or undertake." When "agress" was first used in English in the 16th century, it meant "to approach," but that use is now obsolete. The current meaning of the word has been with us since the early 18th century. Back then, the noun "agress" ("an attack") appeared occasionally as well, but time has relegated that use to obsolescence, too.

My use: Sometimes I agress when my children misbehave. Yes, I spank bums.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love the word of the days. ;)