Sunday, November 2, 2008

Personal Scriptures Day 2

Saturday night I read 1 Nephi 4-7. This is what I liked about it.

Chapter 4 verse 3: "Ye know that an angel hath spoken unto you; wherefore can ye doubt?" I think this is kind of funny, in a way, because it's like Nephi's saying "Hey dummies, you just saw an ANGEL. What the heck are you thinking murmuring? Also, it makes me think - to what extent do we need to go in our lives to get past the murmuring and pay attention?

Chapter 4 verse 6: "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do." I think I need to take this on as sort of a motto. I need to just do what the Lord tells me to do and trust in Him and not think so much about the details. He'll take care of me!

Chapter 4 verse 10: "And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban: but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him." I really like that Nephi didn't want to kill Laban. He questioned it. I'm sure that if he could have done it any other way he would have. I can only imagine if he hadn't. I'm sure that Laban would have sent his guards after their family and maybe slaughtered them all. Then where would we be?

Chapter 4 verse 13: "Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." I love Heavenly Father's response to Nephi's questioning. I think that sometimes people get in the way of righteousness and they need to be removed, not only to further the work but to prevent their own further damnation.

Chapter 4 verse 32: I just thought I'd mention that when it says "as the Lord liveth" it was a way that they made a VERY strong promise or covenant in those days.

Chapter 5 verses 2-8: You'll have to go read it. Being a mother now I can really feel for Sariah and the feelings and doubts she must have been feeling. How worried she was. Doubt for why they were doing what they were doing. I feel that this is the Lord's personal little trial for Sariah so that she will learn that her husband is a man of God and she would believe everything he said and know it was from Him. I don't think she doubts after that.

Chapter 5 verse 14: This verse is important because it tells what their lineage is. They come from Joseph. And if you go to Alma 10: 3 it also says that they're from Manasseh.

Chapter 5 verse 18: "That these plates of brass should go forth unto all nations, kindred, tongues, and people who were of his seed." Mentions the missionary work that we all need to be doing to further spreading the word.

Chapter 5 verse 21: I like that this verse says that the scriptures are of great worth. Especially for preserving them unto their children. I think it's so very important to teach our children from when they are young about Jesus, Heavenly Father and the church. I love this church and want to pass that on to my kids.

Chapter 6 verse 4: "For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved." Nephi really cares so much about his calling in life - to keep record, to teach, to prophesy. All for us. I've heard it said many times that they didn't mass produce the gold plates. They are meant for us.

Chapter 6 verses 5 & 6: I really want to be one of those people, "not of the world." I love the scriptures and have allowed myself to be lazy in my scripture reading, activity in the church and even in my testimony. I need to work harder to not just maintain but grow.

Chapter 7 tells about them going to get Ishmael and his family. It wasn't good for Lehi's family to go alone. They needed wives to continue the population in the new world.

Chapter 7 verse 16: This is the first time that Nephi's brothers tie him up. Boy, they'll sure have it coming to them in the next life!

Chapter 7 verse 17: When Nephi prays it is specific. "O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren;" Now he could have stopped there but he goes on " yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound."

Chapter 7 verse 18: This is the third time that Laman and Lemuel are shown the power of the Lord. You'd think they'd get it.

Chapter 7 verse 21: "And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them ll that they had done, and I did exhort them that they would pry unto the Lord their God for forgiveness." The Lord has asked us to "frankly forgive" everyone who hurts or offends us. Whether intentional or unintentional. D&C 64:10 goes along with this verse perfectly.

No comments: