Monday, November 3, 2008

Personal Scriptures Day 3

Last night I read 1 Nephi 8 & 9. We're learning about the vision of the Tree of Life.

Chapter 8 verse 8: "And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies." I feel like I've been wandering in darkness and now it's time to ask the Lord to have mercy on me and find my way out of the darkness and back to the iron rod. And it's not that I do anything BAD, just not doing all the GOOD things that I should be doing. And looking back I can see the loss of the spirit in the last few years.

3 Types of People: Chapter 8 verse 22 talks about those who commence in the path and then lose their way. Verse 24 talks about those who caught hold and cling to the rod only to become ashamed and fall away. Verse 30 is what I want to be, continually holding fast and fell down and partook of the fruit. They heeded not the people in the great and spacious building.

I've come to realize that I don't need an outside influence in my life. I have all I need in me and from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. If people like me - GREAT! If not? Oh, well. Their loss. I used to be so afraid of looking like a dork in public, most of my high school life was spent walking carefully so I wouldn't do something dumb. Now I don't really care what I look like. And don't get me wrong, I don't do things on purpose to look like an idiot and I always shower and dress nice - I just don't care if someone catches me singing nonsense to my kids in the middle of the grocery store!

Chapter 8 verse 27: "And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit." Sometimes I wonder how many times we try to bring the great and spacious building to church with us. We want the latest and greatest trends, toys and things, the biggest houses, the nicest boat, the funnest toys. I think that it is okay to have fun things and enjoy them but when they get in the way of going to church, paying your tithing or even providing things for your family that are necessary' it's too much. And with the way some people dress you'd think you were at the runways in New York City. It's a little embarrassing when you see women, who you know wear garments, wearing things that would not cover their garments appropriately so you know they're tucking or not wearing them. I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you've taken those sacred covenants on yourself' don't dishonor the covenants, the Savior and yourself by wearing them inappropriately. Okay, I'll probably get in trouble for that one.

Chapter 8 verse 34: "These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away." We really need to watch what we're doing and not become one of those who fall away. Out of shame, because it's not what your family does, because it's too hard, because offense was taken - it's not worth our eternal salvation.

Chapter 8 verse 37: "And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them, and not cast them off; yea, my father did preach unto them." Lehi so wanted all of his family to partake of the fruit. Similarly we have a Heavenly Father that wants so badly for all of us to partake. I can't imagine how heart wrenching it must be for Him to watch so many of his children behaving so poorly.

Chapter 9 verse 5: "Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not." The small plates are the plates of Nephi and the large plates are the plates of Lehi. The large plates were lost - the lost manuscript. It's nice to know that Heavenly Father knows what's going to happen and kind of has a back up plan in place for us, just in case.

No comments: