Monday, December 15, 2008

Nursery Lesson #41

Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ Gave us the Scriptures

Open with prayer

I wrapped up my scriptures in gold wrapping paper and put a bow on top. Since Christmas is coming up I asked all the kids what holiday was coming and what they got for Christmas. They all said "PRESENTS!" We opened my scriptures and talked about the scriptures being important books.

I told them that we have to be very gentle with the scriptures and not throw them around and to make sure to turn the pages very carefully.

I told the kids that the scriptures tell stories that are true and help us to know what Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to do.

I read the poem "When I Read the Scriptures" by Barbara Wren Tuttle
When I read the scriptures,
I feel the Spirit near.
When I read the scriptures,
The Savior's voice I hear.

When I read the scriptures,
They help me when I pray.
When I read the scriptures,
They guide me through the day.

When I read the scriptures,
The Savior's words are clear.
When I read the scriptures,
I feel the spirit near.

After that I had 4 pictures and coordinating scriptures I talked about - one each from the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. The pictures each came from the Gospel Art kit that comes with the Primary 1 manual.

Picture 1-70 and Luke 22:19

Picture 1-44 and 3 Nephi 18:21

Picture 1-3 and D&C 59:6

After talking about this picture we sang the song "Jesus Said Love Everyone"

Picture 1-18 and Moses 7:11

(I really liked that all the pictures and scripture were about Jesus or something that He taught - showing that Jesus is in all 4 books of scripture.)

After that we did "Ways to Read the Scriptures" (click on the link and go to the very bottom under "stories")

Concluding the lesson I held up the scriptures and asked the kids what they were and who teaches in the scriptures. I also asked them if they were happy that Heavenly Father and Jesus gave us the scriptures.

We closed with singing "Book of Mormon Stories" with the actions and a prayer.

I did a coloring page and also made them each a mini Book of Mormon.

I have to say that my little Ethan was like a terrible little tornado the entire time I was trying to teach the lesson. Horrible. He ran all over the room screaming and trying to fight with kids or pulling them over by yanking on their clothing. It was very difficult for me to try to control him as well as give the lesson. The other nursery leader had all the other 9 kids so there wasn't much she could do either. We just struggled through it.

My other challenge for the day was that I had a new little boy come in for the first time and they aren't a very active family and they never leave their kids any where. So both he and his big sister cried if their parents left the room. So I had one parent or the other in there the whole time and they ended up leaving about a half an hour early. I just wanted to take them by the shoulders and shake them and tell them the importance of coming to church EVERY week. I taught Sunbeams when we were first married and I had a little boy that would come every couple of weeks or longer and it was so hard on him. Then they'd come in good little spurts and he'd be so good. He knew that church was something that they did and he behaved.

No comments: